French bulldog is an average sized breed of domestic dog. They have a very affectionate and energetic personality. It is very easy to form a close and loving bond with them and that is the reason they are more famous as family pets. They too like to spend most of their time near humans and are as a very faithful watchdogs. This wonderful breed of dog is very affectionate and playful. Especially known for its wrinkle face and bat like ears, is a great companion for pet owners, families and their children. They are extremely loyal to their owner and need little exercise and grooming. Being short headed and having bulky body they get tired very easily and that is the reason they are not sport friendly. They are very intelligent and learn quite quickly while getting trained. It is a cute breed of a dog which is being extensively loved by children and is very easy to groom at home, but you can read some issues relating to french bulldogs at http://www.dogdefensefund.com/issues-relating-to-french-bulldogs/
In the year 2014, French bulldogs were the 4th most popular dog in United Kingdom and 9th in USA as most popular AKC registered dog breed.
The French bulldog has a history from England. They are a representative of English culture. The English people didn’t accept this version of breed and in 1800’s they started exporting the same to France. French people in order to distinguish it from English culture started injecting specific traits into the English version. Slowly and gradually this tiny little bulldog became very popular in France due to its friendly nature and ability to get mix with families of all ages and especially with children.
The French bulldogs are very easy to identify as on basis of some notable physical attributes listed below:
- It has a smooth coat and un-cropped tail which is naturally straight.
- Its large square shaped head with wide set of dark color eye, provide the bull dog with a very cute appearance.
- The ears are rounded at the upper side and are broad at base. These are often referred to as Bat Ears.
- The approx. weight of French bulldog ranges between 19-28 pounds and height while standing is approx. 12 inches from the shoulder. The French bull dog should not weigh more than 28 pounds as more weight will cause health problems and is also disqualified by AKC standards.
- The varieties of colors of this breed are being like brindle, fawn, tan or white with brindle patches. The most common color found is brindle, followed by fawn.
- It has a short and shiny and smooth coat. The coat has various colors and patterns. The most popular coat is in fawn color, which range from pale to darker brown shade.
The French bulldogs have a very pleasing personality and form a good companion with humans and especially children. Some notable traits of personality are as below:
- They are small, well behaved and are regarded as one of the best companion breed of dog around the world. They are loved and are easily adjustable with families of all sizes and ages.
- They have a mischievous and clownish personality and stand out to carve attention of people wherever possible.
- They don’t require extensive training and exercise as that like other breed of dogs. They love to play both outdoor and indoor games at day time and more comfortable relaxing on sofas at night. Among all ball chasing is just like passion of for French bulldogs.
- This breed of dog is somewhat stubborn and is difficult to train, but very intelligent while learning. They grasp the things and respond quickly.
Health & Temperament Issues
The average life expectancy of French bulldog is 10-12 years. The overall health of this breed of dog is basically well. There are certain issue related to health and temperament of this breed, these are as follows:
- At times of giving birth, most of the French bulldog female dog needs supervision of veterinarian. The puppies have a larger head compared to other breed of dogs. This cause difficulty in passing it through mother birth canal and problem of stocking is also there. This is also the reason of more number of cesarean cases.
- The French breed dogs are not required to play in hot and humid conditions for a longer time. Being flat face, they can develop breathing problems. In case of the same, veterinarian guidance is taken.
- French breed dogs have flat face, low height but a bulky body. Having a bulky body often causes problems in performing exercise and not is a sport friendly. It is suggested to have a short walk daily. They are also need to be monitored while playing with children as they often get excited and can get tired easily and have breathing problems.
French bulldog has its ancestral from England. This breed of dog didn’t find any attraction in England. In 1800’s, the Englishman starting exporting them to France. These are small sized and have bulky body and a flat shaped face. Known for its wrinkle face, bat like ears, having cute attraction and also its ability to get mix up with all age people make him the best family dog. Despite this dog having a glum expression, they are very comical and have a loving nature.
Despite these above loving traits and characteristics, there a bit of concerns to about French bulldogs. These need to be considered before opting for this breed of dog.
These are as follows:
- Problems due to Short face: The French bulldogs have a short flat face and a bulky body. There are some concerns related to short face like:
- Due to short face, the respiratory system often gets compressed. So it is advised to keep them away from smoke, gas or pollution prone areas. It is advised not to smoke or use any chemical like floor cleaning chemical before them. The smell can cause serious breathing problems.
- They have problems to hot and humid conditions. Excessive exposure to hot conditions can cause them breathing problems or even cause heart strokes.
- Use Y-Shaped harness: For French bull dogs, never use the collar tied to their neck for making them walk. This can put pressure on their windpipe and hence can cause breathing problems. Always use Y-shaped harness tied to their chest.
- Stubbornness: Although intelligent, most of the French bulldogs are stubborn in nature which becomes a challenge to train them. A high degree of consistency is required to teach them and make sure that you exactly mean what to want to say them.
French bulldog is a small sized and a cheerful breed of a dog. This dog after being exported from their ancestral country England to France in 1800’s, got well recognized by French people. This cute little bulldog is overall good in his temperament. Due to his cheerful and mischievous nature is good companion of children. They are loyal and are regarded as best family pets. Although small in size, not even the general household people but even the celebs have well recognized him as a family pet.
There are certain pros and cons related to the temperament of French bulldog.
These Pros are as follows:
- Intelligent: The French bulldogs are very intelligent and have ability to learn things quickly. A trained French bulldog is very well behaved and is an amazing human companion.
- Watch Dogs: A proper training to them coupled with their loyalty makes them an efficient and effective watch dog. They often do not bark but only at strangers at their house.
- Hunt Mice: The French bulldogs enjoy hunting mice at their house. So the owners need not to bother enough to catch the mice at their house, nor need them to keep cat for this purpose.
- Small Space: Being small in size, they do not require large space. Even a small front or back yard is all required to make them have fun and sleep.
The Cons are a follows:
- Stubborn: The most of the French bulldogs are stubborn by nature. This nature can be a challenge for any trainer to train them.
- Health Issues: Small sized, bulky body and flat face are sometimes problematic and can cause serious health issue like berating problems, gets exhausted very quickly, snores while sleeping and have tendency to droll even. They are poor in sports and can’t even swim in water.click here to read more issues relating to French Bulldogs.
French Bulldogs are cute little puppy that are popularly known for their mischievous nature. TO know more about this breed of dog, there are some general facts about them. They are as below;
- Origin: The French bulldogs have their ancestors from England. They were first emerged in England, back in the period of later half in 19th Being small and tiny or rather categorized as undersized in England, they got exported to France.read an interesting history about French Bulldogs at http://www.dogdefensefund.com/about-french-bulldogs/
- Description: This French bulldog while standing is 12 inches in height and its weight is approx. 19 to 28 pounds. It has a large square shaped head, wise set of dark eyes with bulky body. It has a smooth coat, a tail which is straight by nature and bat like ears.
- Life Expectancy: The French bulldogs are generally short lived as compared to other breed of dogs. They have an average life expectancy of 9-11 years as they are easily prone to some serious health issues like breathing difficulties, heart problems, spinal disorders and problems related to their eyes.
- Care & Affection: The French bulldog being small and tiny and are easily prone to health problems. They require extensive care and affection. They are more ideal for families having some retire people or children who can spare time for them and not with people who have active lifestyle.
- Grooming: The bulldog require grooming on weekly basis but need plenty of care for its coat as they require lot of petting to keep it clean and in good condition. As they have long ears, so that need to be cleaned regularly.
- Living Conditions: The French bulldog is ideal for indoor. Extreme heat and outdoor activities can be dangerous as they can face some serious health issues like breathing problems, heart strokes etc.